Do I need to complete a Self Assessment income tax return?

You must complete and submit a tax return to HMRC if you are:

  • Self employed as a sole trader and earned more than £1,000
  • A partner in a business partnership

You will not need to send a tax return if your only income is from employment or a pension (unless you earn over £100,000 per annum, or £50,000 per annum and are claiming Child Benefit). However, you may need to send one if you have any other untaxed income such as:

  • Property rental income
  • Tips and commission
  • Income from savings and investments over £10,000
  • Foreign income
  • Income from a Trust
  • A payment or charge on a private pension
  • A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant

Under Self Assessment it is down to you, the taxpayer, to notify HMRC that a return is due, but if HMRC sends you a notice to complete a tax return then one must be filed.

If you are unsure if you should be completing a return then please contact us for more advice.